Our good friends at the International Institute of Buffalo, one of the primary organizations assisting refugees and immigrants resettling in Buffalo, have partnered with Yelp to highlight over 8 different refugee-owned and immigrant-owned businesses to debut Taste the World on World Refugee Day and to run until July 20th. The businesses inside the West Side Bazaar (run by WEDI) survived COVID and now need your support more than ever. These are locally-owned by our own neighbors, so you’re keeping your money local and bolstering our community, and getting to taste the WORLD’s food without leaving your city. One of the many reasons refugees and immigrants are some of the best things to happen to our city in decades.
Taste the World kicks off on World Refugee Day: June 20th, 2021 in collaboration with the International Institute of Buffalo, WEDI and 8 local businesses! RSVP confirmations with details will be sent on 6/14.
You’re invited to go on a culinary adventure and explore different flavors of the world with some of Buffalo’s most unique ethnic restaurants.
Learn about and taste the culture and grab a stamp at each business. Don’t forget to share a photo on Yelp and Instagram with the hashtag #YelpBuffalo and #ISupportRefugees.
You must RSVP for each listing in order to participate (so we can help businesses estimate quantities). Each business will offer a complimentary unique item for you to try and we will provide a one-sheet with information about the business and culture.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE:
RSVP to get directions on picking up your passport
Go out on a solo adventure or bring your friends
Try the item offered, grab a stamp and support the business if able. Purchase a meal for your friends/family.
Consider a donation to the International Institute of Buffalo as you fill out the passport. Scan the QR code on the passport to donate. 100% of proceeds will go directly to helping refugees.
RSVP for each Experience (and see where it is and what dishes they are offering):
JUNE 20th-JULY 20: During Regular Biz Hours (Must RSVP!)
Taste The World: Mexico: yelp.com/events/buffalo-…
Taste The World: Yemen: yelp.com/events/buffalo-…
Taste The World: South Indian: yelp.com/events/williams…
Taste The World: Bangladesh: yelp.com/events/buffalo-…
Taste The World: West Side Bazaar (featuring 3 countries!): yelp.com/events/buffalo-…
Taste The World: Afghanistan: yelp.com/events/tonawand…
June 20th – July 4th: Taste The World: Belarus: yelp.com/events/buffalo-…
Pop Up Days: Taste The World: Vietnam: yelp.com/events/buffalo-…
Complete the entire passport and go on a food journey discovering your favorite places (while supplies last, with RSVP, not guaranteed a complimentary item if supplies run out).
1. RSVP for this event
2. You’ll receive an auto-receipt (to the email associated with your Yelp account) – that’s how you know your RSVP was successful.
3. Before the event, you’ll receive an official email from a real person with more details about the event and any additional info/ordering instructions.
4. Please have a real photo of yourself associated with your Yelp account when you RSVP: yelp-support.com/article…
We solely use email to update guests on event information, so be sure your primary email address is attached to your Yelp account by following the below steps:
1. Open your Yelp app
2. Click “More” on the bottom
3. Scroll down to “Settings”
4. Click on “Email Notifications”
5. Ensure the first option “Receive emails from Yelp” is turned on!
6. Pat yourself on the back
1. Click the icon with your profile photo in the top right corner of the page
2. Click “Account Settings” from the drop-down list
3. Click on “Email/Notifications”
4. It prompts you to log in again just to confirm you’re you
5. Change/Edit your email address if necessary
6. Check/uncheck any of the options
7. In order to receive event emails, the very first box “Receive emails from Yelp” must be checked
8. Hit the “save” button